My Wedding Speech that I never got to give
Firstly, thanks to all of you for coming – I know that most of you took time off work and travelled a long way to be here and I want to say how much it means to us to share our day with the family and friends that love us.
I’d like to say a few words about Mama and Papa. They have been the best parents a girl could wish for and they are also my friends. Mama is the most amazing person and she taught me to be independent from a very young age. I’m sure B would NOT thank her for this as I am incredibly stubborn as a result - but it always made me aware that when I did get married, if I got married, it would be to the right man at the right time and that is certainly true. Thank you so much Ma.
Papa on the other hand, my hero, taught me something that is invaluable; SPORT IS VERY IMPORTANT. This is something that I know will stand me in good stead in my marriage to B! It is said that you marry a man like your Father and if that’s true – then kind, generous, loving, caring, supportive, always there when you need him and great to hug is what I’m getting. Thanks so much for everything Papa, not least for giving me away – although you were probably glad to get rid of me! I love you both very much.
I just wanted to thank you all, not just for the practical things you have done but for the support you have given me. These small gifts are a huge token of our love and appreciation. Thanks a lot you guys.
So now I turn to my new Husband! Last but certainly not least. I want to thank you Bb for a wonderful day – thank you for all your hard work in realizing our dreams – these two days has been so perfect.
I have never been able to find the right words to express just how I feel about this man who has become my husband today – so I’m going to recite this poem in the hope that it might go someway to let him know just what he means to me.
I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I’m with you
I love you, not only for what you have made of yourself, but for what you have made of me
I love you for the part of me that you bring out.
I love you for putting your hand into my heaped up heart
And passing over all the foolish weak things that are held dimly there
And for drawing out into the light all the beautiful belongings
That no-one else had looked quite far enough to find.
I love you because you have helped me to make my life a beautiful life worth living
I love you because you have done more than anything could have done to make me good
And more than any fate could have done to make me happy.
You have done this by being yourself and loving me.
You know, Mama always told me to marry a rich man – I couldn’t have married a richer man than my handsome husband. He is rich in inner strength, understanding and kindness, in forgiveness and patience. He is my everything and I am very proud to be your wife. I‘d like to propose a toast to us – the best is yet to come.
Thank you.
Comments
Post a Comment
♥ Thank you for your love. I'll get back to all of your blogs during the weekend. I promise. ♥