Forgetting To Remember…

Selective Amnesia



We humans are pretty pathetic at remembering what we ought to remember, but we are quite good at ‘regurgitating’ what we shouldn’t. In other words, we forget what we must not, but we can’t seem to forget what we should. What’s the deal-lah people? Maybe our memory cells are controlling us like puppets on strings? Maybe we retain more of what we shouldn’t in comparison to what we should. Think about it. We remember the hurt more than we remember kindness. We remember the evil done to us by someone more than we remember goodness. We remember the tears more than the laughs. We remember the cuts more than the caresses. We forget the good people on this Earth but we can’t seem to forget the baddies.

I Remember…
Why am I saying all this? I realized that people choose to forget or choose to remember, depending on what suits them the most. Selective Amnesia it is. Here are some real-life experiences that I’ve come across:

*Some people want me in their lives, for certain times only and then they choose not to remember me at all…

*Some others forget all the GOOD TIMES we’ve had over one small dispute…all cos they choose to forget those good times in the heat of the moment and choose to stay that way…

*Some people choose to remember past conflicts even when others have moved on…

*Some others choose to forget the hurt they caused others, but choose to retain that hurt as something done upon them…

*Some people meet new people and choose to forget the old friends just cos they can…

*Some walk around as if they can’t remember who they are or anyone else that has been there for them when they had no one else…

*Some people really forget their old routes pretty fast but choose to remember the new routes cos it’s easier to do that than accepting their amnesia…

Forgetting To Forget…
While I wanna forget these people, my selective amnesia seem to manipulate me to remember them somehow. However, I haven’t also forgotten the good either…the good times…the good people…the memories of fun, love, laughter. That’s a relief. Cos not many people remember the good times. But I choose to remember them…cos I can. We must remember the good times and kind deeds…remember an old friend who was there for you, remember someone who helped you when you were in need, remember the old as well as the new…remember them and remember YOU. If we can remember the bad, we CAN choose to remember the good too.

So, what do you remember today, and in that process what have you forgotten?

Now, will you remember me some day when I’m not here anymore? What will you remember about me? We can’t always be together forever but we can remember each other. I know I will remember you…I know I will somehow choose to remember you. This song was recorded escpecially for me by a dear friend…he’s far away now and I haven’t seen him in many many years…but I still remember him. Now I dedicate this song to all of you here….

I will be walking one day
Down a street far away…
And see a face in the crowd and smile
Knowing how you made me laugh
Hearing sweet echoes of you from the past
I will remember you… … …

Popular posts from this blog

Risk

In Your Life...

Show You Care